Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Home Retail Group sell alcohol?
- Are your products tested on animals?
- No. We sell very few cosmetics or similar products. For the small
amount that we do supply, we seek our suppliers’ assurance that the products
are not tested on animals.
- Does Home Retail Group sell fur?
- What is your commitment to reducing your carbon emissions and/or
are you planning to carbon label your products?
- We take climate change and our environmental performance very seriously.
We set annual targets to reduce our energy consumption, transport impacts, material
use and waste volumes. We have an overall aspiration towards zero landfill waste
by 2010, which is supported by an extensive recycling programme in our stores and
distribution centres. The Group continues to make good progress in reducing energy
We are looking at the impact our products have on the environment and offering our
customers a wider selection of energy efficient appliances and other environmentally
We are also working with the British Retail Consortium and Government to address
the implications of climate change in the most effective way.
- A lot of your peers seem to be taking far more steps in their drive
to be ‘greener’ — can we expect some major announcements from
you on this?
- Many of the recent announcements from our peers openly acknowledge
that they do not yet know how to achieve some of their targets. We refrain from
making bold statements until we have all the facts in place to back up our claims.
We continue to tackle issues methodically, proposing solutions and making changes
once we believe they will work and are backed by practical plans and budgets.
- Do you source your wood and timber from sustainable sources?
- The Group has a comprehensive policy on sourcing wood products. We
aim to increase the amount we buy from independently certified well managed sources
and reduce the risk of illegal or undesirable materials anywhere within our supply
chain. Read more about product
- What is your position on ‘dirty gold’ sourcing?
- Argos is a member of the Council for Responsible Jewellery Practice
and is working with its jewellery suppliers to demonstrate supply chain scrutiny.
Read more about Product
- When will you phase out gas patio heaters?
- We intend to phase these out by the end of 2009 as we continue to
explore new low carbon alternatives
- When will you phase out energy intensive light bulbs?
- We have started to phase out the least energy efficient light bulbs.
More energy efficient alternatives will be available over the next four years.
- I am a student - will Home Retail Group take part in my research
- We are often asked to help with student research. Due to the high
volume of requests we receive, it is our policy not to provide individual responses.
We hope that our corporate
website will answer all of your questions.
- How do I make a complaint or comment about a product that I bought
in one of your stores?
- You will find all the information you need on the Argos or Homebase
websites: simply follow the customer services link from the home page.
- How can I get more information?
- You can email us using the contact
us facility on our website. Please bear in mind that we receive many enquiries.
We do our best to respond promptly and in full, but may not always able to answer
every question in detail.